Book Reviews: Ender in Exile

Monday, August 9, 2010


Ender in Exile
by Orson Scott Card
★★★★

Picking up just where Ender's Game leaves off, this new book in the series fills in the gap between Game and Speaker for the Dead. The book deals a lot with Ender's struggle to come to terms his guilt from unknowingly killing the buggers. It also introduces some new interesting characters and provides additional info about Ender's fellow battle school mates.

I loved the parts that gave us Ender's parents' point-of-view. Their three children underestimate their intelligence and I enjoy hearing their perspective. All of the Wiggins have a tendency to spend every waking moment strategizing and planning their next move. Even when they are well-intentioned, the Wiggins are master manipulators, which is half the fun of their characters.

I've loved these characters for years and have gotten to know them in eight other books in the series, so it was wonderful to return to that world. I would recommend this for those who have loved the Wiggins, but not to anyone new to the books. You should definitely start with Ender's Game.

6 comments:

Allie said...

I really liked this one when I read it. I always felt that the jump between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead was too big so I am glad he bridged that gap. :)

Emily said...

I've only read Ender's Game, but I really like Card. I've added this one to my list. Thanks!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I'm like Emily -- I've only read Ender's Game but I've always meant to read the rest of them, so many thanks for the reminder!!

Jenners said...

Interesting that there is a new book to bridge the gap between two older books!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I thought it was an interesting sequel to add as well, but it was certainly needed.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I still haven't gotten to this one and really need to. I've read, and LOVED, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but have yet to get to Xenocide and thought this one looked really interesting when it came out. There are just too many books I want to read!