1001 Books Challenge

Wednesday, December 15, 2010


I bought this book a few years ago and have been checking off titles as I read them ever since. I've found some great books on this list so far and have read 123 out of the daunting 1001. Now Caitie at Pub Writes is hosting a challenge to read books on the list. Since I do that anyway, I'm joining. I'm shooting for the PhD level, which is 16+.

The challenge is simple – read some books from the list! If you don’t own the actual book, you can find a simple list online. For the most basic, check out the Listology list. There are spreadsheets outs there that you can look at too that are more complex.

LEVELS:
High Schoo Diplomal: 5 books from the list

Bachelor’s Degree: 6-10 books

Master’s Degree: 11-15 books

PhD: 16+


RULES:
Challenge runs January 1 2011 – Decemeber 31 2011.
You don’t have to make a list beforehand.
You can use any version of the list, not just the current, since they update it every couple years

11 comments:

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

Good Luck! I am hoping to get a copy of that book soon myself, and will start to check off titles. 123 books is quite an accomplishment already!

Falaise said...

As I am already trying to read them, I think I will join this one too.

Jessica said...

123 books is really good. I think I might join this one since so many of my TBR books are on the list anyway.

I do want that book I only have a spreadsheet.

Kristi said...

I think I'll have to join this challenge also. I, like you, have been trying to work through the list on my own. I might as well have that extra push. I'm excited to see what you'll read for this challenge. I don't own the book, but I think I might give in and buy it.

B said...

Yes! I'm so happy you joined. I'm also jealous that you have the book. I've been hunting for it. It sounds like there are two editions and I am looking to get the latest one. Anyway, it's good to have another blogger friend who joined this challenge!

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

I also check the titles in my copy.

Actually, the friends who like to read and come to visit are also invited to mark the ones they’ve read :)

Hannah said...

I am trying so hard not to join yet another challenge. YOU ARE NOT HELPING!

Just kidding. This sounds like a challenge right up my alley, and one I suspect I will join next year. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Sarah/Jessica/Brenna/Kristi - I love having an actualy copy of the book. I use a spreadsheet too, but there's something really fun about checking off the titles as you flip the pages. I do it in December every year.

Alexandra - I love that your friends mark off the titles they've read. That's a great idea.

Lifetime - I know, sorry. There's so many others I want to join, but I know I'll regret it later. It's not completing the challenges that's hard for me, it's keeping track of what I've signed up for and posting about it.

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

I am part of this group on LibraryThing...maybe I should do the challenge too?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Captain - You should! I'll have to find you on LT so we can compare libraries. My name on there is bookworm12.

Michelle said...

Good luck with your challenge! I'm doing this challenge as well and am really excited for it. I made a blog to track my progress and write reviews. It's really fun, especially to be able to connect with other readers! Thanks for a great blog nad I look forward to checking back to see how you progress.

- Michelle