Dewey 24 hour Read-a-Thon!

Saturday, April 21, 2012


***New update during hour 19**
This might be my last update for at least a few hours. Both the Huz and my pup are asleep and so I might not last much long. I completed 6 books and passed the 1,000 page mark though, so I'm calling the read-a-thon a success!

Pages Read: 1,044
Currently Reading: Soulless
Books Finished: 6 (The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, A Streetcar Named Desire, Sounder, Eats, Shoots & Leaves, Chicken With Plums, The Loved One) 
Breaks Taken: Lots, for blogging updates
, laundry, lunch, a nap, cheering other read-a-thoners
Coffee Consumed: 2 cups + 1 Starbucks Doubleshot
Snacks Eaten: Strawberry and cream cheese sandwich, apple slices, salad, celery sticks and almond butter, homemade cookies from my sister, carrot sticks
Music Listened To: Joshua Radin, Ben Harper, Billie Holiday, Bon Iver, Bach, Miles Davis
Current Location: My library, the couch, bed
Biggest Distraction: Crazy pup
, dryer buzzing, phone call from my sister... the overwhelming desire to take a nap (I took a "quick" nap and set my alarm... but it didn't go off. So I slept for two hours. This is exactly what happened last year. Fail.), dinner, yoga
Mini-Challenges Completed:12

***Mini-Challenge Hour 17 from One Literature Nut 

For this mini-challenge we're suppose to take and post a picture with the book we're currently reading. So here's me and my very sleepy face and The Loved One.

***Mini-Challenge Hour 16 from The Blue Stocking Society

(Spanish Cover/English Cover)

What are your favorite Re-reads?

This year I’ve decided to make rereading a priority and so this mini challenge was perfect. I've learned a lot with rereading; sometimes you return to a beloved book and realize the story now seems childish or more problematic than you remember. Other times it makes you fall in love with the story all over again. No matter what happens, it deepens your relationship with the book.

Here are a few of my favorite books to reread:
-The Time Traveler's Wife
-Everything by Jane Austen
-Harry Potter books
-The Shadow of the Wind
Here's a mini challenge questions called Reading in Translation at Reading Through Life.

1. If you could read any book that’s been translated into English in its ORIGINAL language, what would it be?

The Shadow of the Wind, it was originally written in Spanish. The English translation is beautiful, but I would guess the original is even better!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Indiana

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
A Streetcar Named Desire

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Fresh strawberries and Almond Joys

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm planning a trip to Glacier National Park in Montana this year. If you have good tips, let me know!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?
Last time I took a "brief" nap in the afternoon and ended up sleeping for a couple hours. If I nap this time I'm going to set an alarm!

Dewey is finally here. Yay for the 24-hour read-a-thon! I love to read, but there are very few times in my life when I can set aside a huge block of time to just dive into a stack of books. I have been looking forward to this more than I can say. I have snacks ready to go, the above stack of books already picked out and a puppy that's sure to try and distract me. I'm not planning on reading every book pictured, but I figured have my stack picked out will help me from wandering around my book shelves looking for my next book when I'm 13 hours in and I'm tired.

I'm going to update this post through out the read-a-thon so people's google readers won't be bombarded. I'll let you all know what I'm reading as I go.

Here's to a great read-a-thon!

*Photo by moi

23 comments:

Iris on Books said...

Lots of books to choose from!

Have fun!

Heather said...

I bet he distracts you a lot. LOOK AT THAT FACE!!!! Awww….

Have fun!!!

annieb said...

Yay, Melissa! I wanted to join, but I have company from out of town and I am reading a book a day in April already, so no readathon for me this time. Maybe in October and maybe I will get a motel room :). Have fun and hang in there. I will keep checking on you.

Shelley said...

I've been trying to decide if my family is ready for a dog, but now I think I must get one just to have it along for my readathons!

Anonymous said...

My goodness that dog is adorable. Hope you are having a great readathon!

Paulina said...

Just saw your Hour 5 update. Sounds like you're doing great so far!

*ೃ༄ Jillian said...

Hi Melissa! I'm just stopping by to wish you happy reading! Your progress is impressive! I've only read 52 pages so far today. :P

Care said...

Happy Thonning! Pet that cute pup for me.

Jenn and The Cats of Castle Coull said...

What a cutie! Hope the reading is going well. Enjoy!


Team Polonius

Elsi said...

Oh my! I don't see how you've had time to participate in so many of the challenges and still read almost 600 pages. You ROCK!

annieb said...

You are going to need that nap later, so it can't be a fail. You are doing great!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Love your reading companion Melissa. Wish I had a day to devote to reading; it just never works out. Enjoy

Becky said...

Wow! You did amazing. Thanks for joining my mini-challenge. :) Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Good job! I don't know how you do it. I took breaks for house chores and they bit into my readathoning time way more than I wanted :-(
And you listen to music while reading? I couldn't! Too much distraction!
So, good job, I mean it!

Bybee said...

As always, you've been brilliant! 6 books...wonderful!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments! I couldn't have done it without you guys. You're awesome!

BookQuoter said...

So jealous, a day of reading with your dog!!!

Jenners said...

6 books! Wow! Great job. The photos are so cute!! I love that your dog wasn't actually try to eat the books like a certain little puppy I know. Do you know where you are staying in Glacier yet?

Kristi said...

Looks like you had a great read-a-thon. One of these days I'm hoping to be able to participate. I never seem to have Saturdays free.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jenners - We're staying in a little cabin in the park. I'm so excited! And Ollie was definitely trying to lick the books, when I first tried to take the picture they were in a nice straight stack!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

What a great day you had Melissa! And your pup is so dang adorable! Hoping that I'll be able to join you guys again in October.

Auntee said...

Love the 24 hour marathon!!
Are you still feeling the glide?

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Trish - I missed your cheering this time! I hope you can do it in October.

Auntee - I read so much that day I think I was burnt out for Sunday, but I'm back into it this week.