November Classic Club Meme Question

Tuesday, November 12, 2013



This month the Classics Club asks us to pick a classic someone else in the club has read from the big review list. What about their post makes you excited to read that classic in particular?

For years I’ve been meaning to read something by EmilĂ© Zola and Germinal is one that is frequently recommended to me. When I read Riv’s review of it at Bookish Realm I knew I needed to bump it up the TBR list. The final line of her review is what really did it…

“I want more Zola in my life.”

I’ve felt that way about authors before and I understand the sentiment. Then I read Adam’s review of the same book at Roof Beam Reader and a line in his review stood out to me. He is talking about Zola’s writing style:

“It is simultaneously beautiful, self-reflective, and transporting.”

I think that between those reviews I have very little excuse for not making this book a priority.

Join in the fun here

3 comments:

Riv said...

Oo, I am so glad you found my review helpful! Zola is wonderful and Germinal is one of those books that's going to stick with you for long long times to come. I still think of the characters and situations in the book quite often.

JoAnn said...

I really like the Zola I've read so far, and want to read Germinal, too!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Riv - I seriously can't wait to read it!

JoAnn - I can't believe I've never read anything by him!