Top Ten Books For Your Beach Bag

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

 
 
This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks for the Top Ten Books That Should Be In Your Beach Bag or Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer. Here’s a list of great beach reads that I recommended last year. Since I did that last year, this year I’ll just list books I’m hoping to get to.
Please let me know of any great summer reads I should add to my list!
 
 
1) The final Barcetshire books, I’m getting so behind!
2) Fangirl or Landline - I REALLY want to read one of the two Rainbow Rowell novels I haven’t read yet… or maybe both of them.
3) On the Beach by Nevil Shute – To continue reading Australia and New Zealand books before my trip.
4) Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin (it’s my Classics Club Spin Book)
5) Germinal by Émile Zola – I just have to get to him this year!
6) The Bat by Jo Nesbo – Sandy has been recommending this author for awhile and I’ll dying to check him out. This is the first in the series and it’s set in Sydney!
7) The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum - I’ve slowly been working my way through this series and this one is the next on the list.
8) The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton – For my book club
9) Paris in Love by Eloisa James
10) Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

I did this one last year, too, and came up with 10 more recommendations today. I'll have to do another list of what i want to read soon.

Rainbow Rowell will be on it, and you've made me want to read The Barsetshire books, too!

o said...

Germinal! :D

(I really need to stop leaving these "Germinal!" comments to everyone who so much as mentions it BUT GERMINAL!)

Started reading Is He Popenjoy - it's so awesome, you must read that as well when we all finish Chronicles of Barsetshire :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

JoAnn - I've got to get my hands on those Rowell books!

o - I'm adding it to my list, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Fangirl, and I can't wait to read Landline!

Rudejasper said...

I've never read much Trollope and think I had a mistaken impression of what he wrote. The Barsetshire books look like they'd be right up my alley. I've also been meaning to dive into the Oz series. The only one I've read on your list is Alice I Have Been which I really liked.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

misfortuneofknowing - I have yet to be disappointed by one of her books!

Stephanie Shepherd - The Oz series would be a great one to read with kids. I've been surprised by the sharp social commentary in the Barsetshire books.