Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

 
 
This week's Top Ten from The Broke and the Bookish asks for the Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year. As I looked over the last six months of reading I found a really diverse list of favorites. There are classics, graphic novels, a collection of essays, a re-telling of Hamlet, Victorian dragons, a novel set in Vietnam and some nonfiction.
 
1) The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
2) Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
3) At Home by Bill Bryson
4) The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
6) Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton
8) The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli
9) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
10) Graphic Novel Tie: Blankets by Craig Thompson and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
 
**Barchester Towers gets an honorable mention because it’s my favorite so far in the Chronicles of Barsetshire readalong.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have got to get to the Lotus Eaters! No more excuses. It is a must read for summer.

Anonymous said...

Tooth and Claw made my TTT as well! It also made my Top Five Book Recs list last Tuesday:
http://abibliophilesstyle.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/top-five-tuesday-book-recs-ive-been-given/

JoAnn said...

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage made my list, too, and The Painted Veil was a favorite in 2008. At Home is on my shelf and I really need to read something by Liane Moriarty! Great list.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

52booksorbust - I definitely let it sit on my shelf for far too long.

abibliophilesstyle - I love your recommendation list!

JoAnn - Your list has me adding so many books to my TBR shelf!

Anonymous said...

I ADORED "Happy Marriage"--I originally read a copy from the library, but I recently splurged and bought it in hardcover because I know that I'll want to read some of the essays again. Patchett is such a wonderful writer!

Anonymous said...

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is gorgeous. I wasn't really into the plot and felt it was unnecessarily long but the descriptions were incredible. Such lovely writing!

Andi said...

Great list, Melissa!

Heather said...

At Home is such a great book. Absolutely fascinating! I have a copy of Tooth and Bone, guess I'd better move it up the pile!

Lisa said...

I love all these books - and they are definitely adding to my reading lists (which are quite long enough :) Have you read Framley Parsonage already? If not, you may appreciate it even more now that you've read Tooth & Claw.

Anonymous said...

I hope you can the 3 volumes by Doescher. I just finished tonight vol 3, The Jedi Doth Return, it is so very good!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

bookmammalmusings - I read a library copy too and definitely want to get my own hardcover for my collection.

exploringclassics - I would agree with that. It's definitely got its flaws, but that writing just sucked me in.

Andi - Thanks!

Heather - Bryson can make any topic interesting.

Lisa - I haven't read Framley yet, but it's on my list for July. I can't wait!

wordsandpeace - Oh my gosh, I want a copy so badly!

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

I REALLY want to read Emily of New Moon this year. I just love these editions: http://www.basbleu.com/basbleu/Literature_1AA/View-all-Literature_1AB/Item_s-Emily-Set-3-books_UH7042.html

I've been thinking about buying them. They're beautiful!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Lu - Oh my goodness I LOVE those covers!